The family firm of Droyt Products Ltd was founded in Minsk,Belarus, in 1893 under the name of “The Victoria Fine Soap Works”. The business grew over the succeeding years and in 1913 a new factory was established in Saratov, on the banks of the Volga River.
After the Russian Revolution, the company was forced to move and settled in Berlin, in a factory building just of the Kurfurstendamm, at Joachim-Friedrich-Straße 37. With a name change to Danico Glycerinseife Gesellschaft the firm was based in Germany until 1937, when it was again forced to move. A new home was made in England, in a former yarn mill in Chorley, Lancashire.
In the early post-war period Droyt’s had several triumphs, including the first figure soap on the market since the end of the war, a jolly chap called PC49. It sold for one shilling and threepence plus one coupon, since rationing was still in force.
Raw materials were scarce during the first few years after arriving in England, due to wartime rationing. The company survived on small allocations and made anything from tooth powder to cough medicine. Soap production did not start again in earnest in the late nineteen forties.
Exports became increasingly important as businesses around the world heard about our soap. Our customers included some of the biggest names of the time, among them Macy’s Department Stores in New York, Chicago and San Francisco. In the 1990’s more than half our soap was sent overseas, but slowly as the market has changed, this has become closer to a third.
Droyt is now an established private label and Droyt brand manufacturer of glycerine soaps, both solid and liquid, and we are also able to make certified organic soaps.